You visited the showroom, picked out the perfect Royal Spa, and now it’s installed right where you want it. What’s next?
Now let’s dive into filling up a hot tub for the first time to get it ready for your friends and family to enjoy.
Although this may seem like a straightforward task, there are a few things you need to pay attention to when filling up a hot tub for the first time.
1. Fill your hot tub with water from a garden hose. Note that filling through the skimmer basket can help prevent an airlock in your circulating pump.
2. Turn thermostat(s) OFF at equipment system in cabinet, and at command center (if your spa is equipped with one).
3. Turn power ON at your disconnect box.
4. Be sure ON/OFF switch is ON at equipment system in cabinet.
5. Be sure the hi-limit switch is pushed in on equipment system (on 110v units, check to be sure GFI breaker is ON).
6. Check to be sure the circulating pump is operating (water flowing from small jets into footwell).
One jet may be the ozonator jet and may not appear to be working, this is okay.
You can also check the clear tube coming out of the small circulating pump, (at equipment system inside of the cabinet) and going into the heater housing, to see if the water is flowing properly.
7. Run jets for 2-3 minutes with the heat still in the OFF position.
8. Check to be sure there are no air locks at:
- Filter (loosen bleeder valve on top of filter until water runs out)
(WARNING – Air locks can cause instantaneous heater failure, known as “dry firing”, and this is not covered under warranty)
9. Check for water leaks at couplers on pumps and heater housing. Hand tighten if necessary.
10. Turn temperature on the command center (on equipment system on models without a command center) to maximum level.
Periodically check temperature of water to until desired temperature is reached. Reduce thermostat setting until HEAT light turns off.
11. Add initial chemicals according to the “Refilling Your Spa” section of the Operation and Care Guide.
12. 24 to 48 hours after the spa has been operational, check alkalinity and pH with test strips or test kit—adjust accordingly.
Do not complete this step until this water is hot and has been in for 24 or more hours.
13. Do Timely Maintenance as directed, and most importantly, ENJOY YOUR SPA!
As always, if you have any questions about filling up your hot tub for the first time, please don’t hesitate to ask.
You can reach us by phone at (317) 912-1633, or you can contact your Royal Spa representative directly.